Sumac Chicken Kabobs Quinoa Bowls Recipe
Sumac Chicken Kabobs Quinoa Bowls Recipe – juice sumac chicken kabobs, grilled zucchini, roasted chickpeas, lettuce and rainbow quinoa, come together in the perfect nutritious and delicious bowls. Topped with yogurt sauce.
I made these quinoa bowls for dinner a few weeks back. They are loaded with just about everything I like to eat – grilled meat, quinoa, grilled veggies, greens and roasted chickpeas. Very easy to put together for a simple weeknight meal.
While I’ve never been a vegetarian, I love veggies. I used to eat meat less often that I do now. It is like I need to have meat every day. I’ve had iron deficiency throughout my pregnancy and I do take iron pills three times a day. I feel lack of energy, and the best thing I can do about is it make a protein-packed, filling meal. And of course I have a lot of small snacks like these roasted chickpeas.
This is one of the reasons why I’ve been obsessed with grilled meat. It does not take much time to prepare and tastes great. You can also grill meat in advance on the weekend and then store it in the fridge and add to meals throughout the week.
These kabobs are made with pieces of chicken breast and seasoned with sumac. I’ve shared a sumac chicken recipe with you last winter. Sumac is a spice used in Middle Eastern cooking, which has a mild lemony flavor and red color. Read more about it here.
Last but not least, I topped these quinoa bowls with a garlic yogurt sauce. It brought some extra flavor to the whole dish.
Can’t wait to make these again!
Have a great weekend!
- For the sumac chicken skewers:
- 2 6 oz chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tbsp sumac
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 small wooden skewers, soaked in cold water for 15minutes
- For the yogurt sauce:
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 small garlic clove (or less, to taste), pressed
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup roasted chickpeas
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds and grilled on medium heat for 4 minutes per side
- 2 cups chopped lettuce
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- Preheat a gas grill to medium-high heat.
- Place chicken pieces in a bowl and add seasoning. Make sure chicken is evenly coated in seasoning.
- Skewer chicken onto wooden skewers, 5-6 pieces on each one.
- Grill chicken for 4 minutes per side, until fully cooked.
- Divide quinoa between 4 bowls. Add lettuce to each bowl. Add 3 skewers to each bowl. Add zucchini and chickpeas.
- Top with sauce.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and chopped onions.