Pumpkin Cake Roll Recipe
This is my first pumpkin cake roll and you can probably tell from the pictures, but I can assure you it is very delicious and not too difficult to make.
The pumpkin cake is very soft and moist and the cream cheese filling is just heavenly! Simple and tasty fall treat! Tastes like pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.
I’ve always wanted to make a cake roll, but kind of felt I did not have the skills to do so. When I saw the recipe on a can of Libby’s pumpkin pure I had in my pantry, I finally decided to give it a try. I pretty much stuck to the original recipe with a few minor modifications. It turned out that making a pumpkin cake roll was much easier than I expected.
It is still fall and I hope I’m not too late with another pumpkin recipe!
If you haven’t tried making a pumpkin roll, the process is pretty easy and quick. You basically bake a sheet cake over oiled parchment paper. After you take it out of the oven, the cane should be inverted onto a kitchen towel, which is sprinkled with powdered sugar. You then roll the cake and let it cook in rolled position. When cake has cooled to room temperature, you unroll it and spread the creamy frosting over it and of course roll it back up and place it in the fridge for at least 1 hour. If you want to create the perfect slices, when ready to cut it, you can use dental floss to do so. This way your roll doesn’t get fat on the bottom.
I’m so glad I made my first cake roll and am planning on testing some other recipes, which I can hopefully share with my readers for the holidays.
and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes (link in the sidebar)
More Pumpkin Recipes:
- Powdered sugar, regular clean dish towel, oil spray (I use Misto)
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup pumpkin pure (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 pkg (8 oz /226 gr) softened cream cheese
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 6 tbsp softened butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Grease a 9x13 jelly roll pan. Line with parchment paper. Grease and flour paper. Generously sprinkle a thin cotton kitchen towel with powdered sugar.Make sure you sprinkle "generously", otherwise your cake will stick to the towel.
- In a bowl combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking poweder, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Set a side.
- In another bowl, using a mixer beat eggs and sugar until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture, do not over beat.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan. Bake for 13-15 minutes, until top of cake springs back when touched. Immediate;y loosen cake and turn onto prepared towel. Peel off paper. Starting with the narrow end, roll up cake and towel together. Let it cool on wire rack.
- Beat cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla in a small mixer bowl until smooth.
- Carefully unroll the cake, remove towel and spread cream cheese filling. Roll cake again. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Slice and serve.
A larger jelly-roll pan (10x15 inch) can be used, cake will be thinner.