This Matcha Swiss Roll With Lemon Mascarpone Whipped Cream Filling – light, fluffy and not too sweet. Green tea flavored sponge cake, filled with fresh and smooth lemon mascarpone whipped cream.
You guys knew this one was coming, didn’t you?
This recipe was requested by a subscriber, but it has also been on my “to cook” list for a while. It just took me a few attempts to get it right though.
I made a sponge cake, with intense green tea flavor, but not overwhelming. These isn’t any oil in the cake.
For the filling – of course there are other options, you can fill yours with whipped cream, cream cheese or pastry cream of your choice. I decided to make some lemon mascarpone whipped cream, so this roll tasted just like lightly sweetened lemon green tea. Adding mascarpone to the whipped cream makes is thicker and it holds a lot better. It is perfect for cakes and cake rolls. Adding some lemon zest to the whipped cream brought fresh citrusy flavor.
This swiss roll is the perfect addition to your afternoon tea.
And I often get questions about the cake rolls I make, so I’ve included some information about what I use:
I use an inexpensive 15.5 x 10.5 in jelly roll pan for all my cake rolls. (I do not recommend using a cookie sheet, although it works, cookie sheets are often larger and this will make a huge difference, so you’ll need to adjust the baking time).
Do not over mix cake batter, the cake part of your roll will be though.
Do not over bake the cake. For best results cake should be almost fully cooked, but still moist and spongy.
Act quickly – after you take the cake out of the oven, immediately turn it over a kitchen towel, dusted with powdered sugar. Then roll the cake with the towel and let it cool completely.
Use a generous amount of powdered sugar to prevent cake layer sticking to the towel.
Choose a cake roll filling, that isn’t too runny, otherwise cake roll get soggy and might crack. Cream cheese frosting works great.
I hope this helps!
Thanks for reading CookingLSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes and a copy of my FREE e-cookbook 15+ Most Popular Recipes On CookingLSL.
- ¾ cup + 1 Tbsp cake flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp Matcha green tea powder
- 5 large eggs, egg yolks separated from egg whites
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup milk
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese at room temperature
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar, divided
- additional powdered sugar for dusting
- ½ cup cold heavy cream
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Spray 15.5 x 10.5 in jelly roll pan with cooking spray. Line with parchment paper. Spray parchment paper with cooking spray and lightly flour it. Set a side.
- In a bowl sift cake flour, salt, baking soda and matcha powder. Set a side.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer to stiff peaks. Set a side, or keep in the fridge.
- In a different bowl beat egg yolks and sugar until pale and frothy. Add vanilla and milk, whisk until combined.
- Slowly add in dry ingredients, use a rubber spatula and mix until incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Add egg whites in 3 additions. Gently fold them into the mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Spread it into an even layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until cake springs back to touch. Remove from oven and run a knife around the edges, to loosen cake.
- Place a clean kitchen towel on your plot and generously sift powdered sugar over it.
- Invert cake onto kitchen towel and remove parchment paper. Discard paper.
- Gently roll cake and towel into a log. Let cake cool to room temperature.
- In the mean time prepare filling:
- Beat heavy cream with 1 Tbsp powdered sugar until stiff peaks.
- In a bowl mix together mascarpone and the rest of the powdered sugar. (add more sugar according to your taste).
- Using a rubber spatula, fold whipped cream into sugar mascarpone mixture. Add lemon zest. If the cream is not sweet enough, add more powdered sugar.
- Once the cake has cooled, carefully unroll it. Spread the filling and roll cake back into a log.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, before you slice and serve it. Dust top of cake roll with powdered sugar.