Grilled Pesto Marinated Mini Chicken Kebabs
These pesto marinated chicken kebabs are delicious, simple to make and smell like summer.
They can be served as an appetizer or for dinner, with a side of vegetables or a salad.
Kebabs (skewers) or meat on a stick are very popular in Europe, and you can make them with different kinds of meat- pork, beef, lamb, chicken or even some kinds of fish.
The secret in making good kebabs is in the marinade. The longer they marinade, the more tender and flavorful the meat gets. I chose to share a recipe for chicken kebabs, marinated in pesto sauce. Chicken can be marinated for shorter time than other kinds of meat, and can still taste great. In this recipe I recommend marinating the meat for at least 1 hour, but again – the more time the better, overnight is best. I like to make my skewers with just meat on them and grill some veges on the side. This way I make sure that my meat is perfectly grilled and my vegetables aren’t burned.
I have other recipes for kebabs like my Grilled Chicken Skewers and Chicken Kabobs With Mushrooms, Zucchini And Peppers , but this time I wanted to marinate them in pesto sauce. I love the smell and fresh flavor of basil and that’s why I was very excited about making these skewers. I used pesto sauce I got at the store, but you can definitely make your own, you can find plenty of recipes on the web. I’m also planning on making homemade pesto sometime soon.
Here is how I made there grilled pesto marinated chicken kebabs:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tbsp pesto sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 6-8 10 inch wooden skewers
- In a bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and pesto.
- Add chicken. Cover with plastic wrap and let it marinate for 1 hour. (Refrigerate if you have to leave meat to marinate for longer than 1 hour).
- Soak wooden skewers in cold water for 15 minutes before you put the meat on them.
- Thread meat on skewers and discard remaining marinade.
- Preheat grill to medium-high temperature. I use a gas grill.
- Grill until chicken is cooked through, about 8-10 minutes per side, turning once.
Decided to serve my skewers with some grilled zucchini and a side of pesto olive oil. Here is a simple recipe for a Grilled Zucchini Salad you might want to check out.
I might try this marinade on other kinds of meat like beef or lamb.