These crispy buffalo wings with blue cheese dip are very simple to make at home and taste amazing! They taste even better than deep fried wings with very thin, crispy skin.
Today I’m very excited to share with you a recipe from my friend Nagi’s new e cookbook. Nagi is the writer of a very popular food blog Recipe Tin Eats (most of you might already know her). On her blog, she shares fast and easy recipes, that you can make with just a few ingredients, just like these wings. And Nagi just recently released her new e cookbook “Baked Wings – Crispy, crunchy, sticky. 33 oven baked wings to satisfy your cravings”.
You can get the book here. It costs only $15 and it is totally worth it if you like chicken wings.
You’ll also look at some mouthwatering pictures, since every recipe is accompanied with a beautiful photo.
With 33 oven baked wings recipes and 7 dipping sauces, there definitely is something to satisfy even the pickiest eaters. These are classic flavors, as well and some Asian favorites and some fun outrageous creations.
I’ll be honest, these are the best oven baked wings I’ve tried so far! I’ve tested quite a few recipes, but never used the technique from the book. While my wings almost always turned delicious, the skin was kind of thick and chewy and there also was extra fat left on them after baking.
Following these two unique steps, suggested by Nagi, you’ll definitely notice a difference:
1.Toss the wings in baking powder (not baking soda), which will draw moisture to the surface of the skin and will make it crispy.
2. Bake the wings at low first, which melts the fat under the skin, then increasing the temperature to the skin.
I decided to follow the recipe and ended up with the best baked wings I’ve mede so far. And because I’m a huge fan of Buffalo Wings, I had to toss them in hot, buttery sauce. Blue cheese dip anyone? Of course I tried the blue cheese dip recipe from the book. I served them with celery sticks to achieve the ultimate bar experience at home!
Hope you like them! And if you do, make sure you get that e cookbook, because you’ll be amazed of the easy and creative recipes in it.
- 4 lb/ 2 kg chicken wings
- 2 tbsp baking power
- 1¾ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp melted unsalted butter
- ½ cup buffalo sauce, such as Frank's Original Red Hot Sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- celery sticks
- Lay the wings on a rimmed baking tray and let them dry in the fridge overnight. (optional, but recommended, if you don't have the time, dry wings very well with paper towels).
- Preheat your oven to 250F / 120C. Place one oven shelf in the lower quarter of the oven and one in the top quarter.
- Place the wings in a large ziplock bag. Add the baking powder and salt. Shake the bag to coat evenly.
- Line the baking sheet with foil. Spray the rack on the baking sheet with oil spray. Place the wings skin side up on the rack. Bake on the lower shelf in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425F / 220C and move the baking sheet to the upper shelf. Bake for 45-50 minutes more, rotating the tray half way through. There is no need to turn the wings over. They are ready, when they are dark golden brown and their skin is very crispy.
- Toss in sauce and serve immediately.
- Whisk together the Sauce ingredients. Keep warm or reheat just prior to using.
- In a bowl, mash the blue cheese with sour cream until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well until combined.
- Store in the fridge.