Creme Fraiche Ice Cream With Blueberry Swirl Charles Phan
Rich and creamy Creme Fraiche Ice Cream With Blueberry Swirl. Recipe from Charles Phan’s Book “The Slanted Door”.
Happy Monday! How was your weekend? I did not do much this weekend, but I organized and looked through some of my cook books.
I love my cook books! And I have a ton of them. And of course I need to get more!
Cooking recipes from cook books is something I enjoy, but I rarely post more than one recipe per cook book on my blog. I also rarely cook following the exact recipe, I like to make adaptations. But not with this book. Not long time ago I shared this Strawberry Sorbet recipe from Charles Phan’s Book – “The Slanted Door – Modern Vietnamese Food”.
The sorbet is easy to make and tastes fresh! But I thought – I do need to share at least one more of the recipes there. They are awesome! Luckily there is another frozen treat recipe – Creme Fraiche Ice Cream With Blueberry Swirl. It is creamy, rich, fresh and full of blueberry flavor. It also is very easy to make, you just need to get some Creme Fraiche. Trust me, it is worth it. I know most stores don’t carry it, but I got mine at Trader Joe’s.
Years ago, before I had my blog, I tried a custard recipe (for a cake), which suggested the use of Creme Fraiche. I was impressed! The so called “Queen Of Cream” (Creme Fraiche), adds thickness, creaminess and slightly tangy taste to creams and custards. It has more fat that sour cream, but the two could be substituted in some recipes. I do not suggest substitutions in this ice cream recipe though.
The combination of sweet and creamy ice cream and blueberry compote does remind me of blueberries and cream!
I hope you like it!
Thanks for reading CookingLSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes and a copy of my FREE e-cookbook 15+ Most Popular Recipes On CookingLSL.
- Blueberry Compote:
- 1 pound blueberries
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- zest from 1/2 lemon
- Ice Cream:
- 21/3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 10 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cups creme fraiche
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, combine all ingredients and cook until the compote thickens and coats the back of a spoon, 20-30 minutes. Let it cool, then transfer to a jar. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a medium saucepan combine heavy cream, milk, sugar and salt and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and set a side.
- In a mixing bowl whisk egg yolks together. Temper the egg yolks by adding about 1/3 of the cream mixture, while whisking constantly. Pour the tempered egg mixture back into the pan with the cream mixture and return to the stovetop. Heat mixture, until it reaches 180 F on a candy thermometer. Pout through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl and cool completely over an ice bath. Once the mixture is cool, fold in the creme fraiche and cover with plastic wrap. Chill mixture overnight. It has to be as cool as possible.
- Following the directions of your ice cream maker, freeze the ice cream until it resembles soft-serve ice cream. I worked in 2 batches, 15-20 minutes each. Do not over churn!
- Transfer to a container. Swirl 3/4 to 1 cup of compote (reserving the rest for another use). Freeze until firm.
More Ice Cream Recipes: