Classic Lemon Bars With Shortbread Crust Recipe
Classic Lemon Bars With Shortbread Crust Recipe – buttery crust and fresh and tangy lemon curd on top. Simple dessert, you can make any time of the year!
I can’t believe it, but I did not crave sweets almost throughout my entire pregnancy. I didn’t even have cravings for savory foods! I say almost, because I can’t explain why, but I need to have every single sweet treat that I see lately. I was scared looking at Pinterest or facebook, or visit my favorite blogs, because every single dessert I see, I need to have it!
My recent obsession – lemon bars! The combination of shortbread and lemon curd is a winner. They are very easy to make and require some staple ingredients, you probably already have. Did I mention, I love anything “shortbread”?
That’s why the shortbread crust is on the thick side here! If this is too thick for your taste, you can reduce all ingredients of the crust in half and also reduce the baking time.
These do remind me of my childhood. My grandmother used to make similar bars, but she would cut them into smalled squares, this way they were more like cookies than bars.
If Meyer lemons are in season, feel free to use them. Just remember that they are less acidic and you might want to reduce the amount of sugar for the curd.
These lemon bars are bursting with flavor and make the perfect citrusy dessert for any time of the year.
- For the crust:
- 2 sticks, 112grams each (1 cup) butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- For the filling (curd):
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2/3 cups lemon juice (fresh squeezed is recommended)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a 9×9 baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, process butter, sugar, flour and salt until crumbs are formed. You can do this by hand, incorporating the butter into the dry ingredients, but it si a little messy.
- Spread dough onto the baking dish in an even layer.
- Bake crust for 15 -18 minutes, until the edges are golden. Let it cool for 15 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the filling.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs and sugar. Add flour, whisk again, make sure there are no lumps. Add lemon juice and whisk to incorporate.
- Pour mixture over the crust.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the top is set.
- Let it cool in the pan for 1 hour, then cover with foil and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Remove from pan together with the foil.
- Slice into squares.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve.