Chocolate sugar cookie sticks dipped in melted chocolate and decorated with holiday sprinkles and toffee bits.
Hi guys, Happy Friday!
Today I’m celebrating 5 days till Christmas with another very simple cookie recipe : Chocolate Sugar Cookie Sticks.
Of course I’m trying to share simple cookie recipes now, because Christmas should not be stressful and not associated with constant baking. This is a regular shortbread dough with cocoa in it, which only takes 10 minutes to make (plus chilling time). This is the dough my grandmother uses for her spritz cookies.
Buttery and sweet, these have wonderful chocolatey flavor. We used to make round and thicker sticks with them, but I recently saw a picture on Pinterest, where the cookie sticks were flat and thinner and really loved the look of them. And you know I love chocolate, so I dipped these chocolate cookies in melted chocolate and topped with festive sprinkles and toffee bits.
These cookies will make an exciting holiday gift, too. Since the sticks are small and thin, I was able to make more than 4 dozen of cookies.
This dough is easy to work with, but you need to chip it for at least 2 hours before rolling and then chill the cookie sticks for 30 minutes before baking, otherwise cookies will spread. The use of baking soda is optional, I only use 1/4 tsp, but you can omit it. This dough works great for spritz cookies, cut out cookies or just plain round ones. If you are going for a chewier cookies, you should reduce baking time with 2-3 minutes. For cookies that are more crispy, 10 minutes is enough.
Cookie dough could be kept in the fridge, wrapped in plastic for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
These chocolate sugar cookie sticks last for up to 2 weeks in an air-tight container.
This is my last cookie recipe for this year! I hope you enjoy it! Have a lovely weekend!
Thanks for reading CookingLSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes (link in the sidebar).
- 1 cup (2x 4 oz sticks/226 gr) softened butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cups unsweetened cocoa
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda (optional)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- sprinkles, M&Ms, toffee bits, crushed candy canes for decoration
- In a bowl sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda. Set a side.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment beat butter for 3 minutes until creamy.
- Add in egg and beat on low until combined. Add vanilla extract and mix for 30 more seconds.
- Gradually add in flour-cocoa mixture, mixing on low speed until everything is well combined.
- This dough is sticky, using a rubber spatula scrape down the sides of the bowl and a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake the cookies, transfer dough to a very lightly floured working surface and roll it about ⅛ - ¼ inch thick. Using a pizza wheel cut 1//2 inch by3.5 inch stripes.
- Arrange stripes on a baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 more minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (177 C). Bake cookies for 10 minutes, let them cool on the baking sheet for 3-4 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make sure cookies have completely cooled before you decorate them.
- Melt chocolate chips over a double boiler or in the microwave.
- Dip each cookie in chocolate and then add sprinkles (toppings).
- Place cookies over parchment paper and let them stand until chocolate hardens.
- Store in air tight container for up to a week.