Cheesy, creamy and tasty – cauliflower spinach mac and cheese. Made in individual ramekins and topped with crunchy Parmesan – bread crumb topping.
Mac and cheese is one of my favorite dishes. Too bad, I do not make it very often! And the reason for this recipe is not necessarily to make mac and cheese healthy. Using cauliflower spinach sauce brings an amazing flavor, while it keeps it very creamy.
I used Havarti cheese, which made the mac and cheese very buttery. I’ve noticed that different people like to add different kinds of cheese, according to their taste, so feel free to do so.
Not a fan of spinach? You can totally skip it. The cauliflower sauce is good enough, but I love the addition of spinach.
I made it in 2 ramekins, but it could also be baked in a larger one, or oven safe skillet.
No roux, but I love the light and creamy spinach cauliflower sauce, packed with nutrients.
This recipe is quick and easy to put together!
Thanks for reading CookingLSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes and a copy of my FREE e-cookbook 15+ Most Popular Recipes On CookingLSL.
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 3 cups water to boil pasta
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 cup spinach, packed
- 1½ cups broth from boiling the cauliflower, or chicken/vegetable stock
- ¼ - ½ cup milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 6-8 oz Havarti cheese, grated or chopped
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp parsley (dried could be used)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Spray a casserole dish or ramekins with cooking spray.
- Prepare the sauce:
- Steam or boil cauliflower in salted water (or stock) for 10 minutes. Transfer to a blender, add spinach and 1½ cups stock (or liquid left from boiling cauliflower). Puree until smooth. Add milk and butter, season with salt and pepper. If the sauce is too thick, add some more liquid to make it thinner.
- Bring water to a boil. Add salt and pasta. Cook pasta until al dente.
- In a large bowl combine pasta, cheese and sauce, mix well. Transfer to prepared ramekins (casserole dish).
- In a small bowl combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Add olive oil and parsley, mix with your fingers to combine. Sprinkle on top of mac and cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until top is crispy and sauce is bubbling.