Blackberry Cheesecake Bars With Shortbread Crust
Blackberry Cheesecake Bars With Shortbread Crust – buttery crust, topped with luscious cheesecake layer and sweet blackberry sauce swirled into it. Quick to make, tastes delicious and has great flavor. One slice from these is not enough!
I finally got to make some cheesecake again! It is one of my all time favorite desserts, but for some reason I don’t make it that often!
I was craving cheesecake last week and since I did not have time to make some I asked my husband to get me some from the store. While I’ve had some good tasting store bought cheesecakes, this one wasn’t one of them. Anyway, this meant I had to bake a cheesecake asap!
With some fresh blackberries on my kitchen counter, I decided to make a blackberry swirl cheesecake bars. Why bars? I love the taste of homemade shortbread crust (not what I dislike graham cracker crust) and wanted to combine a thicker crust with a layer of cheesecake.
This crust is almost as thick as the cheesecake layer, so if this is something you don’t like, simply reduce the ingredients and you’ll end up with a thinner base for your cheesecake. (Baking time should be reduced to around 10-12 minutes, as well.)
You can enjoy these cheesecake bars at room temperature or chilled. I cut them into 3×3 inch squares, but if cut into 1×1 inch squares, they’ll make an awesome party dessert.
If you don’t feel like making the blackberry syrup and the swirl, just bake cheesecake and top with fruit preserves.
A fun fact – I’ve only had a bar a day since I made these! Not that they are not delicious, but I need to try and keep my body in shape for spring and summer !
Thanks for reading Cooking LSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes and a copy of my FREE e-cookbook 15+ Most Popular Recipes On CookingLSL.
- 6 oz fresh blackberries
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 drops vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (1 and ½ sticks) softened butter
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup light brown sugar (can use palm sugar)
- ½ tsp salt
- 16 oz softened creme cheese
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- In a sauce pan combine blackberries, sugar and water and cook for 10 minutes. Using a fork mash blackberries. Strain sauce, using a fine mesh strainer. Set a side.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (177 C). In the bowl of a stand mixer cream butter for 2 minutes. Add sugar and mix until combined. Add in flour and salt and mix until medium crumbs are formed.
- Line a 9x9 inch baking dish with aluminum foil. Transfer crust mixture and with a spatula or your fingers, press onto the bottom of baking dish. Make sure the layer is even.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until edges are golden.
- In a bowl whisk cream cheese until smooth. Add in sugar, eggs and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth. Pour mixture over the baked shortbread crust. Smooth the top with a spatula.
- To make the swirl - drizzle some sauce on top of cheesecake layer and using a toothpick swirl it into the batter.
- Bake cheesecake for 35-40 minutes, until cheesecake is slightly puffed. Cool completely.
- Cut into nine 3x3 in squares. Store in the fridge in air tight container for up to 5 days.
More Cheesecake Recipes: